Preliminary Planning Advice
Statement of Environmental Effects
Local Government Liaison
Waste Management Plan
SEPP 65 Meetings
Post Lodgement Submissions
The project is located at 495-501 Hunter Street & 364 King Street, Newcastle. Working with our client and the notable architect, Monteath & Powys provided specialised planning advice and assistance to prepare a development application for the demolition of buildings and erection of a mixed-use development.
With ground floor shops facing both Hunter and King Streets, the project incorporates two residential towers atop a common, landscaped podium.
Monteath & Powys, in association with industry partners compiled, lodged, and negotiated a development application on behalf of clients to facilitate the approval.
The proposal required the analytical review of plans, reports and data updating due to collaborative design changes reflecting community involvement through public submissions & Public Voice.
The approved development comprises of:
- 2 towers (one at 13 storeys and one at 10 storeys with a partial roof top garden)
- 83 residential apartments
- 3 levels of car parking
- Landscaped communal open space podium on Level 3
- Common room on Level 3
The site of the project was constrained by the close proximity of adjacent buildings, requiring careful and detailed analysis of design and reviewing the development against the provisions of the ADG and Land and Environment Court planning principles. The application required a high level of architectural design assessment along with detailed planning analysis responses.
Newcastle’s Urban Design Review Panel reviewed the proposal against the nine design quality principles of the Apartment Design Guide (ADG) identified in SEPP 65 (State Environmental Planning Policy No 65 - Design Quality of Residential Apartment Development). Extensive negotiation and engagement were completed to confirm the public interest was not jeopardised and that the development was sound on planning grounds.
The development was approved in October 2020, supported by Council for being consistent with the objectives of the applicable environmental planning instruments and being considered of an appropriate scale and form for the site and the character of the locality.
The project provided a well-designed and balanced development for the site that will act to continue Council’s strategic plans for the locality and provide investment in the local economy.
Monteath & Powys provided the following services on the path to approval:
- Project inception meeting with clients.
- Preparation of preliminary planning advice.
- Coordination and consultation with subconsultants.
- Preparation of statement of environmental effects and lodgement documentation.
- Preparation of CPTED Report.
- Preparation of Waste Management Plan.
- Preparation and lodgement of an amended development application under clause 55 of the EP&A (Regulations).
- Attendance at Newcastle’s Urban Design Review Panel (SEPP 65) meetings.
- Attendance at meetings with Council and clients.
- Preparation of post lodgement documentation required to further clarify compliance.